Faith can help you through the worst of adversity and the toughest challenges
Perhaps the most important kind of faith to have is faith in yourself. We can use faith in daily circumstances. We keep faith that we can make it from one day to the next. Sometimes we lose faith in ourselves and the world, especially when we face great challenges and adversity, but getting it back can bring renewed joy to life.
- Take a positive perspective on life. Some days are harder than others, but there is no reason to believe that tomorrow has to be a bad day. Having faith in tomorrow can bring solace to today.
- Set goals that you can accomplish. If you constantly set unrealistic goals, then you will probably lose faith in yourself because you will start to believe that you are a loser. Setting appropriate goals makes it possible for you to progress at your own rate.
- Learn to rely on others. Most people in your life want to help you. Giving them the chance to do so can revitalize your faith in other people and yourself.
- Write in a journal. This gives you the opportunity to vent your emotions, expound on your thoughts and see the story of your life. Reading it during times that test your faith can show you how much your current perspective skews your vision of life.
- Take some risks. This adds adventure to your life. Even if you are not completely successful, you will learn that you can handle some disappointment. That way, things will not sap your faith as easily.
- Dont generalize. Saying things like bad things always happens to me steals faith from you. Besides, these overgeneralizations are not true. Almost everyone has some good things in their lives.
- Know your strengths and weaknesses. Having faith does not mean that you believe you will be successful at everything. Those with faith know that they will be successful at some things and unsuccessful at others. Regardless of the outcome, they still survive.
- Dont put yourself at the center of the universe. Your faith can go beyond your own mind and body. Putting yourself in the center of the universe makes everything about you. That includes all of the frustrations and negative things in the world. But the universe is not all about you, so let your faith rest on the world sometimes instead of relying solely on your own two shoulders.
Famous People Who Are FaithfulBarack Obama had faith in a political system that had always pushed minorities to the sidelines. He also had faith that the majority of American citizens would understand his plans for rebuilding the country. Obama won the presidency largely because of his own faith, but also because of the faith that he inspired in voters.
Mother Teresas faith in the goodness of mankind has inspired thousands, if not millions, of people to devote time to worthy causes that make the world a better place to live. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.
Recommended BooksFaith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience, by Sharon Salzberg
Why Faith Matters, by David J. Wolpe